so, So, SO E X C I T E D !!!!!
I have only gone and been nominated for my first ever, ever Blog Award. The Liebster Award. To be honest when Gareth Mate nominated me I was so stunned it has taken me a little while to digest it and actually pluck up the courage to have a look at the nomination. And now I have and I am beyond excited...
First and foremost a HUGE thank you to Gareth who has nominated me. For some time he has talked to me via social media in support of my journey and blog. This personal connection has meant more to me than I think he realises. When you connect with someone it makes what you are doing and what you are writing about mean so much more. So thank you Gareth for the nomination and your support.
Gareth's blog at www.garethmate.com is a breath of fresh air, he writes about his outdoor adventures but the thing that sets his blog apart is his beautiful photography which he also displays on his Instagram account here.
So, what is the Liebster Award?
The Liebster Award 2017 is an award that exists only on the internet, and is given to bloggers by other bloggers. The earliest case of the award goes as far back as 2011.
Liebster in German means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome.
Here are 10 Random Facts about me to give you a little insight in to who I am...
1. I went to the Royal College of Art and studied for an MA in Printed Textiles, I then went on to work in the Fashion & Textiles industry for some years with some pretty big names...
2. I am a qualified teacher of Design Technology Textiles and went on to become Course Leader for BA(Hons) Textile Design which was the job of my dreams...
3. I am a not so secret fan of Bryan Adams...
4. I was born in London and brought up in Bristol so a city girl at heart but now live on the outskirts of the small market town of Ross-on-Wye and enjoy a thoroughly outdoor lifestyle.
5. I really dislike fresh coriander - it make me gag...
6. My favourite tipple is Westons Cider - local and the best cider by far!
7. I am scared of deep water, despite this I managed to face my fear and learnt to surf last year at the grand age of 42...and I am a 3* Canoeist!
8. I LOVE beanies and outdoor jackets,, I have a ridiculous number of both and can't stop buying more...
9. I really like a bright lipstick, red or pink - yes, us outdoor types still like to make an effort every once in a while!
10. I cannot go a day without a good coffee (decaf though, been caffeine free for 5 years)...
Questions I have been asked as a nominee... (ooh I feel like I am in Smash Hits magazine or something!)
1.Given the choice of anyone in the world whom would you want as a dinner guest and why?
Sir David Attenborough. To have the opportunity to talk to him, in person about the adventures he has had, the amazing things he has seen and to just soak up his positivity, passion and desire for knowledge. He is an inspiration and a genuinely lovely person.
2. For what in your life do you feel most grateful?
My husband and children. They are my world.
3. If travel was something everyone did as a rite of passage growing up where would you recommend they go and why? (one country only)
New Zealand. I haven't been however (but it is there, no.1 on my wish list). The landscape, lifestyle and their attitude to life, nature and the environment tick every single box with me.
4. What would be the best travel memory to have and how does it compare to what you have?
Experiences for me are more important than physical places or destinations. Experiences create memories. I have not travelled the world, the plans are afoot but I have travelled in Europe over the years and it has given me a taste of what it to come...
5. Give a tip for other bloggers or potential blog starters:
Just do it. Don't worry about being all 'bloggy' and writing in a certain way, be honest, be yourself, write in your way and write about the things you are passionate about.
6. What is your favourite dish?
Ummm, there are so many! Can I not just put Love Hearts? I guess one of my all time favourite meals is a really simple roast chicken, salad and chips followed by a couple of packets of Love Hearts!
7. Would you ever travel the world in a camper van?
8. Give a travel tip for travellers:
Follow your instincts and don't spend all your time on your bloody mobile phone!
9. What do you think of selfie sticks?
Not a fan, I like opening up a conversation with a stranger by asking them to take a photo or offering to take one for them. It connects us.
10. When you have a writer’s block what do you do to work it out?
I read other blogs and find inspiration!
My favourite blog (and writers block inspiration!)...
There are so many blogs I love, most of which I have been introduced to through the brilliant Outdoor Bloggers community. However, the blog that I am constantly stalking, in a weird obsessive way is Average Joe Adventures.
Written by Hev and Joe Lewis the blog is not only beautifully designed but is a great mix of blogs. They both work in the outdoors as instructors and have a huge amount of experience and knowledge which they both enjoy imparting to others. Their generosity with their time is evident through their blog and social media presence. The blog has personal accounts, interviews, reviews and links to fantastic articles. The time that they clearly put in to the blog, alongside their busy, very active lifestyles is awe inspiring. One of the best features is their Interview series where they feature a wide range of outdoor people and their own personal journeys (I wanted to be involved but not sure my story is that interesting!!). They are also two of the loveliest people I have had the pleasure of knowing. So go, check it out and make sure you follow them on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
Blogs I nominate for the Liebster Award are:
Joe & Hev Lewis Average Joe Adventures
Emily Woodhouse Travelling Lines
Elliot Waring See Outside
Emily Thompson Tink Adventures
Helen Garcia & Jennifer Rhodes 1 Vision 2 Girls
Rules for the Liebster Award 2017...
What to Do if Nominated for the Liebster Award
Back in 2011 the rules were a simple case of acknowledgement of the nominator and to nominate 5 more. Now in 2017 it is a little more involved and will continue to evolve as blogging becomes more accessible.
If you have been nominated for The Liebster Award AND YOU CHOOSE TO ACCEPT IT, write a blog post about the Liebster award in which you should do the following:
If you have been nominated before at any time please share the love. Many people believe the Liebster award is similar to a chain email/letter and sure it shares similarities but the underlining idea is to help promote each others’ blogs.